Fluoroquinolones are used to treat bacterial infections. However, Fluoroquinolones are not effective against viruses like the common cold. Fluoroquinolones are drugs that can cause serious damage to the nervous system, as well as to tendons and cartilage. Some links have been traced to fluoroquinolones and multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid diseases and heart problems.
Fluoroquinolones are used to treat:
- sinus infections: infections inside your nose, face and forehead that can lead to severe pain, headache, nasal discharge or congestion
- lower respiratory tract infections: infections in the lower respiratory tract, which includes the trachea and bronchi. Pneumonia is a lower respiratory tract infection.
- urinary tract infections: infections in the kidney, ureter, bladder and urethra.
- acute uncomplicated cystitis: similar to urinary tract infections; mainly seen in women. Sometimes associated with vaginitis.
- chronic bacterial prostatitis: occurs in and around the prostate; can be caused by urine reflux, poor secretion drainage and presence of excess bacteria.
- complicated intra-abdominal infections: such as appendicitis and infections acquired from surgery.
- skin and skin structure infections: such as cellulitis and staphylococcal infections from bacteria that penetrate the skin.
- bone and joint infections
- typhoid fever: a bacterial infection that gets into the bloodstream.
- uncomplicated cervical and urethral gonorrhea: a sexually transmitted disease.
- inhalation anthrax: to reduce the progression of the disease after someone has inhaled toxic and deadly anthrax.
Common brand names of fluoroquinolones are Avelox, Cipro, Floxin, Levaquin, Maxaquin, Noroxin and Tequin.
However, Fluoroquinolones can also cause harmful side effects. The drugs can severely erode cartilage in joints, seizures, cardiovascular collapse, and can cause extreme nervousness, especially if taken with caffeine, which should be avoided. Some believe Fluoroquinolones can lead to multiple sclerosis, for which there is no determined cause (but toxicity is believed to be a major contributor).
- Proton Pump Inhibitors
- ReNu Contact Solution
- ReNu MultiPlus Solution
- ReNu with MoistureLoc