By now you’ve heard about BPA, or Bisphenol-A, a harmful compound that leaches from plastic bottles into your water, causing cancer, infertility, growth and birth defects, and more.
- Most plastics that have the #7 in the recycle symbol contain BPA. Not all do, but looking for that #7 can be your first method of defense.
- There are several “BPA-free” bottles on the market now, although they’re getting snatched up by health-conscious consumers before most stores can restock them, so if you see them, grab them! They are:
- Nalgene (must say “BPA-free”)
- Camelback (again, must say “BPA-free”)
- Klean Kanteen
- Rubbermaid Sip
- Amphipod Hydraform
- Guyot Designs
- New Wave Enviro Bottle
- Also, avoid eating and drinking out of cans. If you find yourself buying a lot of canned soup and drinking a lot of soda, find alternative sources. BPA can leach into your food and soda, but not at such a high rate as it does through plastics.